Monday, November 3, 2014

November 3, 2014: 'Jackaby'

Welcome to Book City
Date: November 3, 2014

Spoilers Ahead

Headline
Jackaby
William Ritter

“Miss Rook, I am not an occultist,” Jackaby said. “I have a gift that allows me to see truth where others see the illusion--and there are many illusions. All the world’s a stage, as they say, and I seem to have the only seat in the house with a view behind the curtain.”

Newly arrived in New Fiddleham, New England, 1892, and in need of a job, Abigail Rook meets R. F. Jackaby, an investigator of the unexplained with a keen eye for the extraordinary--including the ability to see supernatural beings. Abigail has a gift for noticing ordinary but important details, which makes her perfect for the position of Jackaby’s assistant. On her first day, Abigail finds herself in the midst of a thrilling case: A serial killer is on the loose. The police are convinced it’s an ordinary villain, but Jackaby is certain it’s a nonhuman creature, whose existence the police--with the exception of a handsome young detective named Charlie Cane--deny.
Doctor Who meets Sherlock in William Ritter’s debut novel, which features a detective of the paranormal as seen through the eyes of his adventurous and intelligent assistant in a tale brimming with cheeky humor and a dose of the macabre. 


City Calendar:
This is what happened during the week.
Abigail arrives in America. She is almost broke and in need of a job. She meets the strange detective Jackaby. She tries to get a job before getting a job as Jackaby's assistant. She goes on a case and meets Charlie a junior detective. Jackaby investigates the crime scene. He determines that the killer wasn't human. This contradicts what Hatun a special old woman who sees three worlds. Jenny the ghost who lives in Jackaby's place shows herself. Abigail also meets Douglas Jackaby's last assistant who is a duck. Jackaby makes assumptions. Together with Abigail, he figures out where the killer lives: New Fiddleham. Abigail stays at Jackaby's place as room and board. She wakes to a disturbing surprise. Mr. Henderson is dead. Jackaby is arrested, along with Abigail. Abigail is interrogated by Marlowe. She and Jackaby hear the banshee's wail signaling that they will die. Soon. They hear that the banshee is dead. And they are freed from jail. Jackaby is enlisted by Marlowe. The detective orders all the men to go to the square. Charlie turns out to be able to shapeshift into a wolf. Charlie runs off. Abigail and Jackaby chase him. Abigail finds Swift who attacks her. She is saved by Charlie who gets wounded in wolf form. Jackaby shoots Swift and kills him by burning Swift's red cap, because he is a redcap. Charlie leaves for another town. The funeral happens, and Jackaby puts Swift's shoes on his coffin. Abigail becomes a detective for Jackaby. Jackaby finally gets his tuning fork back. Abigail starts another adventure.
And that's what happened this week.

Personal Ads:
Abigail Rook.
England girl looking for adventure. Notices the small, humane things. A bit sassy. A bit funny. Can be serious. Doesn't change too much. Brave. Adventurous.

Jackaby.
Awkward, scatterbrained man. Can see the truth. Sherlock-type. Detective. Doesn't reveal what he knows. 

Opinions:
I can't sort out my feelings for this book.
I like the supernatural element. It can be confusing since I don't recognize all the supernatural beings. But it's diverse and interesting. 
The romance is not too much. It's just enough. I can picture Charlie and Abigail together. I can see more coming for this book. It seems that way. I wonder what's with Jenny anyways. Did she love Jackaby?
I think the plot is good. It's action and suspense and mystery. I don't typically read these types of books. It seemed interesting, though. 
People say that this is a book like Sherlock. I've never seen the show. Never. I don't see what they mean. I don't have anything to compare. It is like the Sherlock I can think of. But with supernatural elements as in Doctor Who. (Which I have watched.) 
I just have a feeling...that I didn't like it. The mystery wasn't very good. It was okay. Not that I like mysteries. It seemed...to end oddly. I don't know. It's a gut feeling I can't explain. 

Weather:
Sunny with a 20% chance of rain
4/5



1 comment: