Friday, November 7, 2014

Special Report: Sex in YA Fiction

Special Report
Sex in YA Fiction


I feel like this is a problem in young adult fiction. What do I mean? Sex. Honestly, I don’t know why it is always there. Whenever characters get together in young adult, they have sex.
It is never explicit which I am thankful for. Let’s name a few books.
‘Ashfall’
‘The Fault in Our Stars’
‘The Declaration’
‘Graceling’
‘Fire’
‘Bitterblue’
Those are just the ones I can call up to mind. This is a serious problem in my eyes.
Yes. Teens do have sex. The problem is, the books seem to always have that.
There are two things I keep seeing:
Sex and love triangles.
Neither always happens in a life of a teenager. Love triangles are rare in fact. It seems that sex is more common, but, if you all in love with someone, you don’t always just strip and have sex. It seems wrong to keep putting that in books.
Interestingly enough, while sex is more common than love triangles in real life, sex is less prevalent than love triangles.
The question is why that is always mentioned. Sex does seem like the…wax seal on the commitment train. Is that how authors prove two characters love each other? I don’t know. I can only guess really. I might ask authors about this as well. I don’t know yet. This one is a topic I am not very…excited to discuss.
It still confuses me, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment