Friday, November 21, 2014

November 21, 2014: 'It's Kind of A Funny Story'

Welcome to Book City
Date: November 21, 2014

Spoilers Ahead

Headline
It's Kind of a Funny Story
Ned Vizzini

Ambitious New York City teenager Craig Gilner is determined to succeed at life - which means getting into the right high school to get into the right job. But once Craig aces his way into Manhattan's Executive Pre-Professional High School, the pressure becomes unbearable. He stops eating and sleeping until, one night, he nearly kills himself.

Craig's suicidal episode gets him checked into a mental hospital, where his new neighbors include a transsexual sex addict, a girl who has scarred her own face with scissors, and the self-elected President Armelio. There, Craig is finally able to confront the sources of his anxiety.

Ned Vizzini, who himself spent time in a psychiatric hospital, has created a remarkably moving tale about the sometimes unexpected road to happiness.

City Calendar:
This is what happened during the week.
Craig visits his doctor. He considers suicide. He calls the Suicide Hotline. They direct him to go to a hospital. He does so. He sees his mom who signs a form to get him into the psych ward. He meets many people including Bobby, Smitty, Armelio, and Ebony. He talks to Noelle an elusive girl who seems to always be leaving notes. He starts to draw again, drawing brain maps. This happens after he yells at Aaron. He plays a card game that ends with a friend going to the place where they put all the old patients. He starts to slowly get better. Nia comes to see him and kisses him. Noelle sees, and Craig explains. He decides to go to art school. Noelle and Craig start to become a couple. The day Craig is supposed to leave comes. Craig asks his dad to bring a movie. He draws brain maps for some people. He takes Noelle to his room and kisses her with his roommate listening to music and playing cards. He is let out and is free. 
And that's what happened this week.

Personal Ads:
Craig.
Depressed. Artist. Confused. Smart. Looking to start again. Wanted to die. Went to private school. Wants to go to art school. Has friends but isn't too close to them. Likes Nia at first then Noelle. 

Opinions:
I like that this book has real topics. It isn't all mush and gush. It's real. It's depression and confusion and teenage hormones. It has a side of the world people don't typically see. It's the nitty-gritty side. The 'mentally unstable' side. (I don't want to offend.) I like this. It's fresh.
This book makes you think. I analyzed my entire life after reading it. The bad moments. The good. I thought about my problems and my solutions. It wasn't all laid out. And I don't hope it will be all laid out.
I also like that I can relate. I have these moments. I get sad. I get angry. Like most people, I have those moments where the sun doesn't shine. I relate. It isn't 'kill myself' level, but I understand enough. 
Sadly, this book was awkward romance. I don't see where it forms. Are you just lusting, Craig? Or something else? I can't tell. It's confusing. Add in that moment with Nia. And I don't know what to think.
The beginning is odd too. A lot, maybe too much, backstory. We don't need to know everything. And we don't need it all at once. I would have preferred small bits and pieces not an entire helping of backstory. That would have been easier to swallow.

Weather:
Sunny with 50% chance of rain
3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment