Friday, October 31, 2014

Special Report: 'Beneath a Meth Moon'

Welcome to Book City
Date: October 31, 2014

Spoilers Ahead

Special Report

Headline
Beneath a Meth Moon
Jacqueline Woodson 

A stunning new novel from threetime Newbery Honor–winning
author Jacqueline Woodson.

Laurel Daneau has moved on to a new life, in a new town, but inside she’s still reeling from the loss of her beloved mother and grandmother after Hurricane Katrina washed away their home. Laurel’s new life is going well, with a new best friend, a place on the cheerleading squad and T-Boom, co-captain of the basketball team, for a boyfriend. Yet Laurel is haunted by voices and memories from her past.

When T-Boom introduces Laurel to meth, she immediately falls under its spell, loving the way it erases, even if only briefly, her past. But as she becomes alienated from her friends and family, she becomes a shell of her former self, and longs to be whole again. With help from an artist named Moses and her friend Kaylee, she’s able to begin to rewrite her story and start to move on from her addiction.

Incorporating Laurel’s bittersweet memories of life before and during the hurricane, this is a stunning novel by one of our finest writers. Jacqueline Woodson’s haunting—but ultimately hopeful—story is beautifully told and one readers will not
want to miss.
 

Personal Ads:
Laurel.
Meth addict looking for either a) her family's trust or b) more meth. A bit ditzy and girly. Can be clingy. Recovering from her addiction. 

Opinions:
I don't like this book. I can say that I'm happy that it's about serious topics. I can't say that this serious topic is well done. It seems a bit odd.
I also don't like the way the story is told. It's going back and forth. It's now and then. It is confusing. I don't like how confusing it is. It isn't linear. It's just jumping back and forth. I don't like it. I couldn't figure out how things happened. I was confused the entire time I read the book. 
I don't like the main character as well. She's annoying. I get that she's a meth addict. But we have a bit of backstory. And we don't get enough of it. I feel like she's lacking. She doesn't have enough depth to her.

Weather:
Cloudy with a 80% chance of rain 
2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment