Wednesday, March 4, 2015

'Worlds Apart-Ruination' by Amanda Thome

23197010


What if everything came down to a single test? If your life was defined at seventeen, could you handle it? Could you accept your fate leaving the ones you love, or would you risk it all and stay? 

One test stands between Vanessa and Central. One chance to make the leap across the walls to a better life. At seventeen, Central considers Vanessa an adult. Her labor role, marriage, and housing divisions will be dictated by her performance on the leap. 

Dedication and unfaltering friendship has bonded Vanessa to Garrett as they fight for their chance to leap into Central. But what happens when love overtakes reason? When defiance in the name of love creates an unintentional fracture in their nation. 

Without warning Vanessa is at the mercy of the nation that’s supposed to protect her. Exiled and abandoned she must fight but she find’s she’s not alone. With her heart divided she seeks her revenge, but will her stand be enough?

I didn't really like this book. It could have been a lot better. 

The action wasn't bad. It got better as we neared the ending. We didn't get in depth fight scenes. But guns always win in these sort of situations. I wanted hand-to-hand combat. I wanted Ty versus Natalie or something. That would be quite amazing, though. I wanted to see Ty fight. He seems like a great fighter. He seems more rough-n-tumble than Nessa. (And Nessa had to practice survival skills as well. Remember? She knows snares!) But Ty seems more experienced and tougher. And more of a fighter. 
I was happy when Nessa womaned up and used a gun. Gosh. She was kinda wimpy for a majority of the book. She didn't really woman up. Then she got a gun. And pow! Fight fight! What I mean is that she didn't really act like this tough person trying for the leap. Once she was set free, she didn't really...fight it. She just took the blows and settled down. Not what I expected this 'tough' heroine to be doing. 
The action wasn't bad. It just could have been better. 

The characters were sort of interesting. I didn't particularly like Ty or Nessa. Neither interested me enough. They weren't that interesting. They didn't have a lot of depth or backstory. 
Nessa...I actually liked her family-girl attitude. She didn't want to leave her family. And she cared for them. That's good. Great, even. It shows she cared, that she has a heart. But the person who was preparing for the leap? No. She trained so hard. And she tested. And went to her job. And lost all her training? That's what it seems. I know she built a shelter and made traps. But while she was in denial, she didn't try to find civilization. I know it would be hard. Nessa said she loved her family, though. Why didn't she try? Why didn't she think about it? She's not that tough either. She's tougher than me, I know that. But she took the blows. She didn't fight back. I know it's bad to bring up Ty because he knew what would happen to Nessa if he didn't go...but Ty at least was trying to go beyond living. 
Ty is actually kinda creepy. Put aside the front of 'looking for his love'...and you find a stalker. He follows a girl he's seen in his dreams to her sector. He doesn't know who she is. Or what's she's doing. Or if she'll hate him. He just goes. I think that's too impulsive. Lots of people will say that he was doing it for love. For a girl he's never met. I don't think so... 
Also...how can you leap twice? That's a thing? I feel like Ty was the rare, once-in-a-lifetime person. In this book, the world doesn't seem to enjoy having people leap twice. It seems like Outer sector can only go into Inner sector and not to Central. 

There were grammar problems. Things I typically would let slide... But not with this book. There were many times when Mama and mama were interchanged. The same for Papa and papa. I know they're talking about the same person. But still. Choose your mind. I know you're talking about the same person. Just choose. Mama is one thing. Another is mama. Capitalization matters. 
Other the that, minor grammar errors I let slide. 

I didn't like the romance. A love triangle. Geez. Where have I seen that? It wasn't even a good love triangle. Garrett wasn't the greatest character. He was strong and brave. That's a given. Plus a bit impulsive. (Eating dangerous berries? Nice...)
And Nessa must really have had feelings for Garrett. But she never accepted those feelings. For years. And Garrett wasn't shy about his feelings for her. He asked her out almost every day. And she denied him. For how long? Probably since he learned how to say 'wanna go out' and since she learned how to say 'no'.   I feel like they went on a date once. Or twice. To try it, you know? Then, one of them realized it wouldn't work and broke it off. Then old love sprung forth with the upcoming leap test. That would make more sense. Definitely. I would believe that. But him liking you for so long? Nessa girl, go get him. Seriously. You said he was one of the hottest guys. And he had eyes only for you. Go get him.
How did that work anyways? Why did she just up and admit feelings for him? What changed? 
Then the third part of this love triangle. Well well well. Why did Nessa fall for him? I see no reason. And did he ever tell her his stalkerish ways? I think he did. Isn't that just a bit weird? Pursuing this girl you've never met, I mean. I want to say creepy with a capital C right now. 
Also. Did anyone else notice the author wrote an orgasm in? It's first time I've read an orgasm. And I am sort of...disturbed. I know that things like sex are expected. And I know it's not explicit. But still. I never asked for an orgasm. 

The ending! Oh my goodness. What an ending. But I didn't like it. We have many things happening all at once. Rescue rescue. Boom! Reunion. And the promise of happiness...then Garrett. (Since when did he try to get out? Since when did he become that guy?) 
The cliffhanger. What will they do? What will they say? Nessa? Ty? Will Ty be jealous when or if Garrett comes back? What will Garrett do? Many questions... 
Admittedly, it does make me want to get the next part. Which is a good thing for the author. A bad for me.

Weather:
Cloudy with a 40% chance of rain
2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment