Friday, May 29, 2015

'Michael' by Annabell Cadiz

17739959


Zahara Faraday looks like a normal eighteen-year-old and lives in a quiet neighborhood with her overprotective parents. She works at a bookstore and hangs out with her best friend Becca King on a daily basis. But underneath the normal lies a secret life filled with dangerous supernaturals. Zahara belongs to a world made of Light Witches, rogue Imagoes (supernatural creatures with super strength, speed, and silver skin when the moon is out), fallen angels, and Nephilim (hybrid children born half-human, half-angel). Where her father Solomon Faraday is human, her mother Mia and her Aunt Catalina are Light Witches. They help protect the human world by hunting down rogue supernaturals who commit heinous acts against humans. What they never expected was the possibility of having to hunt down the one rogue coven they had befriended and come to trust in their battle against Lucifer. Rekesh Saint-Louis is the leader of the most powerful Imago coven in Florida and now he’s the most suspected. Supernatural bodies are starting to pile up with an ancient ritual long forbade being used to murder them and the symbol, one large cross with four smaller crosses around it—which represents Rekesh’s coven— being left behind. Rekesh and the Elders of his coven set out to find who is behind the murders and clearing his name before a war between the covens begins. To make matters more difficult, Rekesh also has to deal with the return of someone he has been keeping a secret.

Meanwhile, Zahara and Becca are spending more time brushing up on their training, knowing an attack from Lucifer can come at any moment. Between patrolling neighborhoods and hanging at the boarding school created by Charles Stephens—a fallen angel who created the school to protect the children of rogue supernaturals—they are thrown into one battle after another. Zahara begins to develop a closer bond with Jason as they train and chase down clues to clear Rekesh’s name. What she doesn’t know is the very powerful secret Jason is keeping; a secret that will change the course of the fight with Lucifer.

But Rekesh’s coven being set up isn’t the only danger. A new powerful and lethal drug has emerged from the shadows of the supernatural world called Inferi. The drug has two deadly side effects: it leaves the supernatural hungering for blood—both human and supernatural—and grants them the elemental power they had once possessed.

Lucifer is on the move and he will stop at nothing to get his hands on Zahara and complete the first act of his plan. 

A battle is about to begin. 

One that may cost the Faraday family everything they hold dear.

Lucifer was a fascinating character. I wanted to find out his motivations for everything. Revenge? Why was he who he was? Was he truly just evil? No. That can't be. He had to have motivation. I can't believe someone is just purely evil. There are reasons. Lucifer was fascinating. Silently stealing souls. He did everything without notice. No sparkles. No fireworks. I can say this. He was intriguing. Still is. I can't wait to see how Lucifer evolves. And I can't wait to witness his master plan. 
Michael was very kind and angelic. He seemed a bit too perfect honestly. I liked his powers, though. He could do so much more. If he cared to incinerate Jason. (That would suck.) He was very kind. And very knowledgeable. What I am wondering is this. Who was controlling the body for most of the time? Jason or Michael? We get a lot of Michael talking about his skin getting hot around Zahara. But Jason assured it was him. I gained a question. Not the best thing, though... 
I liked that I got both Lucifer and Michael's perspectives. We saw the polar opposites. Angel and fallen angel. The good and bad. But who is who? That's the eternal question. 
You're probably wondering why I'm not talking about Zahara or Becca or Rekesh. The story was partly in Lucifer and Michael's perspective. I did want to focus on them.

I really enjoyed the plot. It got really fascinating to see both sides of the story doing certain things. It seemed more fascinating than the first story's plot. It was more action. More action sequences. And, thankfully, less dates. But I was shocked by the drama from the relationship. Man. That was surprising. I didn't expect that.
The action was amazing. Lots of fight scenes. And magic. MAGIC. (Squeal.) The magic made the Light Witches and everyone have to fight differently. Cautiously. And maybe get hit more. I truly enjoyed the fight scenes. They made me happy and excited. 

The romance. I can't say I liked it. Or not. It was hard for me to decide. I liked the drama between Rekesh and Becca. I wasn't convinced of any relationship being solid. Well...Solomon and Mia. I mean...whoa. They work so well together. Rekesh and Becca was okay. I didn't really like all the presents and everything. (How does car restoration get you THAT much money? I thought it wasn't the best business. Guess I was wrong. Classic cars is something else. That's the money maker. Unless...it's restoring classic cars. Is it? I dunno.) Becca does act like a little bitch sometimes. She got really angry at Rekesh over Amos. Why would he tell you? He has secrets. Everyone does. Just because you're dating doesn't mean you get a ticket to his innermost secrets. It's a secret for a reason, Becca. 
And Jason and Zahara. I don't...what. I was just getting used to Bryan and Zahara. Now this? I can't. I won't. I don't like this. Why are there so many couples? I mean really. 

I liked the cliffhanger ending. Many things were revealed. We have more to find out. This story wasn't bad. I got things. Like Zahara actually being used for her purpose. And Lucifer actually did something. Gasp. I felt like the battle at the end was great. Really saw something. People had to fight. Magic and non-magic. Angels and non-angels. It was havoc. It was crazy. But I enjoyed it.
I can't wait for the next story. Maybe we'll get more of the diary. Maybe we'll get more Lucifer and his motivations. Who knows? 

Weather:
Sunny with some clouds 
3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment