Tuesday, April 21, 2015

'The Wicked Will Rise' by Danielle Paige

18602341


In this dark, high-octane sequel to the New York Times bestsellingDorothy Must Die, Amy Gumm must do everything in her power to kill Dorothy and free Oz.


To make Oz a free land again, Amy Gumm was given a mission: remove the Tin Woodman’s heart, steal the Scarecrow’s brain, take the Lion’s courage, and then Dorothy must die....

But Dorothy still lives. Now the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked has vanished, and mysterious Princess Ozma might be Amy’s only ally. As Amy learns the truth about her mission, she realizes that she’s only just scratched the surface of Oz’s past—and that Kansas, the home she couldn't wait to leave behind, may also be in danger. In a place where the line between good and evil shifts with just a strong gust of wind, who can Amy trust—and who is really Wicked?

Alright. Amy seems off. She doesn't seem like Amy. Amy rebels. This Amy, though. She was sinister. Cruel. I don't think I like it. No. I don't like it. As much as anti-heroes are interesting, Amy is just turning wicked. I won't say that there isn't any intrigue in that; there is definitely something making me read on. But Amy is a person with morals. She has the gut feeling to be good. But this has been twisted. I feel like this new Amy is a monster as everyone else sees her as. I can't say I see her that way. I want to say I see her as a monster. But as a fellow monster, in a way, I can't help but sympathize with her.
I like that she's changing. The magic is changing her. All her actions tell a different story. She might have good intentions, but the magic is tainting her words and actions. Perhaps she is turning into another Dorothy. Maybe she'll be another Wizard. I don't know. But the author can go down many routes, choose from a multitude of options. 
Ozma is great. She is powerful. And her secret is amazing. I think Ozma should have been expanded on more. She's not just a ditzy fairy princess who has no brains. She's smart. Wise. Powerful. Ozma can control Oz. No. Let me rephrase that. Ozma is Oz. She really is. Oz is Oz in a being form. Which I think is amazing. I like Ozma. What I like more is her secrets and her hidden power. Both are amazing. 

The plot was dull. I admit that. There wasn't much happening. Everything that did happen was minor. The story didn't have much to contribute to the overall plot. The book seemed, like many second books, to just be a middle man between the first book and the third. (The first typically being the best. So far, this series is following this plan. Wonder how book threw will be like...) 
Sure. We had battles. Head-on battles. And I like that we had those battles against Dorothy. It showed that Dorothy is really powerful, but Amy is also...well...getting to be really powerful. But these battles didn't reveal anything we DIDN'T know. We know Dorothy is powerful. We know Amy is becoming powerful. We know that. We didn't find out anything. It just doesn't seem like anything is revealed. 
The secrets are great. Major secrets. I'm adding this with plot because the plot forces the characters to find the secrets. The secret of Oz? Perfect. Love it. The Ozma secret? Nice. That was surprising. Truly. And everything that happens BECAUSE of the secrets? Makes me just want to grin. This book has some astounding secrets. Surprising. Shocking. Secrets you can never predict. 

The romance. Oh goodness. I don't understand it. You two barely know each other. I honestly hoped that Nox would rebuff Amy. Because please, who needs that? Nox, you even SAID that the revolution is first. And don't you want to protect Oz? Isn't that more important? I know there isn't a lot of romance. (It's because neither of them meet for a majority of the book.) What I don't get is this...why are you two trying? I don't see chemistry. Or anything. Just focus on the rebellion. Things will be fine. It's not like Amy can go anywhere anymore. Just stop the ogling and get to the action! 

The ending is vague. But I like the cliffhanger. I'm not sure I'll like waiting for the next book, though. (When is waiting for a book any fun?) I think the cliffhanger is interesting. But so much happens at the end...it drowns out the rest of the book. Nothing happens in the rest of the book. Then bam! The ending comes, and you're given lots of information. Cue the soft weeping. 
I feel like this series could be lumped into a huge book. The endings are too vague and open ended. I wanted something more concrete. As if the book doesn't have to be a series. With every single ending in this series so far, I feel like there is something missing. More closure, I guess. 

I just wanted so much more from this book. Truly. The idea seemed great. I'm sad to admit that this book does seem like the two-star book everyone else says it is... Sorry... 

Weather:
Foggy with a 60% chance of rain
2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment