Sunday, March 8, 2015

'Trust' by Tim Mettey: Excerpt


Young Adult Sci Fi
Date Published: October 2013

  Nicholas Keller has come to terms with his Thusian heritage and has finally achieved some normalcy in his life. But when new neighbors move in next door at the beginning of his junior year, everything changes. He is launched into an impossible search, uncertain of who to trust, and this time it’s not just his own life that hangs in the balance—it’s the lives of countless others and everyone he loves. 


It had been nearly three months since I was told that I was part of an ancient group called 

the Thusians, the secret guardians of mankind destined to sacrifice our lives at any given 

time. I would have thought that after finding this out everything would have become 

really complicated for me, but it hadn’t. It was nice and quiet.

Everything I went through to get to this point was worth it, because now I had Elle. I still 

couldn’t believe how such a wonderful, amazing girl ended up with me. We were 

inseparable during the summer. Unfortunately now I was keeping more secrets from her. 

It was for her protection, but I still hated it.

Elle and I were lying in my front yard under the shade of the towering oak trees, enjoying 

each other’s company like we had done most of the summer.

“Nicholas, what’s wrong?” Elle asked for the hundredth time.

“Sorry, I’m just preoccupied today.”

“It’s okay. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t me.”

How could it be her? She was nothing but wonderful, my reason for living.

“Elle, it’s not you. You know that. I’m just thinking about the last interview I did. It 

wasn’t very good.”

Last year when I confronted the mob of reporters at the school’s entrance, I told them if 

they would leave me alone I would do interviews. To my dismay, Cora, my aunt and 

guardian, made sure I did every interview they requested. It had now become the thing I 

dreaded most. I had to relive the worst day of my life, the 10-10 Earthquake, like it was 

some recurring nightmare from which I couldn’t wake up.

“Sorry, Nicholas, I know how much you hate doing interviews, but at least that was your 

last one until next summer.”

In addition to me only doing interviews in the summer, Cora had told the media that I 

would only answer questions over the phone. She also required that they never say where 

I live or where I go to school, even though they were camped outside of my school last 

year telling the world all of that information. Cora thought, better safe than sorry.

Cora had even talked to Ester Theasing, the head of the Thusian Council and a friend of 

ours, about doing the interviews to make sure it was safe for me because of Xavier and 

the Seekers who were trying to eliminate me and any other Thusians. Ester didn’t have a 

problem with it.

Chase Letterby started visiting us more midway through the summer. After the attack last 

year he left as soon as his doctor talents were no longer needed. No one had heard from 

him for a while. Even his regular TV appearances had stopped. But as more time passed 

during the summer, he started to frequent our house again. Cora didn’t seem to mind his 

company, despite his countless attempts to get her to go out with him. He was fixed on 

the one woman he couldn’t have, Cora.

Elle and I continued to lie beneath the trees. She went back to reading her book while 

rubbing my head. Her hand moved slowly through my hair, making me forget all of my 

worries. With every pass, a wave of relief went through me. I had positioned myself on 

her lap facing our driveway, so I could watch my new obsession. A large house was 

being built next door. It was hard to believe that the lot had been completely wooded just 

a month ago, and now the house looked close to being completed. Cora was not happy 

about the new house and the new neighbors that came with it. She still wanted our 

privacy, and the trees surrounding us had given us ample protection, but now they were 

gone. She even tried to buy the lot, but it had been sold exactly a week after we moved in 

last year.

The workers swarmed over the site like ants working hard on their hill. It was amazing to 

see such a large home being built so quickly. For some strange reason it was fascinating 

to me. I had no interest in design or architecture, but it still captivated my attention.

Cora and I had been in five different houses in six years, but never a brand new 

house—one freshly built just for us. Our new neighbors were about to get the fresh start I 

had wanted after the earthquake, but never got. Maybe that was the reason for my 

obsession.

Tim Mettey

Tim Mettey serves as CEO and Disaster Relief Coordinator at Matthew 25: Ministries, an international humanitarian and disaster relief organization. Tim uses his many experiences and expertise in responding to disasters around the world to set the background for his The Hero Chronicle series. Tim struggles with and has overcome his learning disabilities with reading and writing to create this series, and hopes his journey can be an inspiration to others. He says, “Our disabilities do not define who we are, they make us stronger.”
Twitter: @TimMettey

No comments:

Post a Comment