Saturday, January 17, 2015

'Killer Instinct' by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Killer Instinct (The Naturals, #2)


Seventeen-year-old Cassie Hobbes has a gift for profiling people. Her talent has landed her a spot in an elite FBI program for teens with innate crime-solving abilities, and into some harrowing situations. After barely escaping a confrontation with an unbalanced killer obsessed with her mother’s murder, Cassie hopes she and the rest of the team can stick to solving cold cases from a distance.

But when victims of a brutal new serial killer start turning up, the Naturals are pulled into an active case that strikes too close to home: the killer is a perfect copycat of Dean’s incarcerated father—a man he’d do anything to forget. Forced deeper into a murderer’s psyche than ever before, will the Naturals be able to outsmart the enigmatic killer’s brutal mind games before this copycat twists them into his web for good?

With her trademark wit, brilliant plotting, and twists that no one will see coming, Jennifer Lynn Barnes will keep readers on the edge of their seats (and looking over their shoulders) as they race through the pages of this thrilling novel.
 


I liked the twists and surprises. You didn't expect them. You couldn't expect them. You don't feel like you know who is the killer. I mean...wow. You can't tell. You guess the obsessive lady's son did something. And you wonder if it's the professor or someone else. You keep get leads thrown your way. As you read, you wonder who did not. You start to speculate. As a fan of the show 'Castle' a crime show, I was trying to figure things out. I had guesses. (I also cheated and looked ahead. Don't blame me...) I think this is amazing how you get the answers. It is. Truly. You would never suspect the true killer. 

We get to know more about Dean. He's a mystery. I wanted to know more. I wanted to know about his past. His father. What his father did. How he killed. These were lingering questions in my mind. I had the 'want to know's. I had a lot. And we got some answers. We did. I got just enough to satisfy my curiosity. I learned about his past. His father. What his father looked like. How he killed. What Dean did in his past when the FBI pursed his father. Wow. Just wow. The poor kid. He went through terrible things. How is he not crazy? He must be a very strong guy. Mentally strong. He went through things that would break everyone else. Wow. 

I didn't like Cassie. She's too nice. Honestly. I didn't like how nice she acted. How caring. It made her reckless. It made her do dangerous things. She was crazy. I think Cassie is good. She just was too nice. But it wasn't just that. I couldn't stand how she kept leading the guys on. Really. She made both like her. And she led them on. She kept making passed at both Michael and Dean. And how annoying she got. She acted as if she had a reason to sympathize with Dean. I sided with Lia on that one. She had gone through something similar. But it wasn't exact. And she wasn't a daughter of a serial killer who made her watch. No. She went through different things. But similar. She kept acting like she was Dean's female mirror. I didn't like that. 

I also didn't like the romance. The great thing was that Cassie chose. Huzzah! It's always great when the girl chooses. At last... I didn't know who she would choose. It came as a surprise. I had a feeling, though. Those two got closer in this book. Really. I didn't like the romance, though. It annoyed me. Where did it form? Is the love triangle needed? I didn't think so. I felt like this book didn't need a love triangle. She could get with Dean and let it be. It was good that Dean saved her. Great even. But Michael didn't need to be involved. There didn't seem to be much from the relationship(s). And not a lot of chemistry. I just didn't like it. 

I didn't like the plot. It seemed a bit...slow. It felt a bit tiresome. The story seemed a bit dull. The plot had twists. But a bit boring for everything else. I felt like the plot could have been better. If it was a bit faster, more action...yeah. It wasn't bad. Just not amazing. 

Weather:
Cloudy with a 50% chance of thunderstorms
2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment